Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited (MKCL) was promoted by the Department of Higher and Technical Education (H & TE), Government of Maharashtra (GoM), India and was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956.
MKCL commenced its business operations in April 2002 over the entire state of Maharashtra ( the most industrialized state in India admeasuring about 300,000 sq. km. and having a population exceeding 100 million) and in a span of seventeen years it has emerged as a high-tech and high-touch initiative focused on design, development, and delivery of innovative eLearning, eGovernance, and empowerment technologies, solutions, and services to its ever-growing base of millions of customers in public at large, Universities, Governments, and Communities.
In order to make the capabilities of MKCL available to all the departments of the Government of Maharashtra, governmental coordination of the affairs of the company has been handed over from January 05, 2018, to the General Administration Department (GAD) from the Department of Higher & Technical Education. Subsequently, it was allocated to the Directorate of Information Technology under GAD.
- Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited, briefly put MKCL, commenced its business operations in April 2002 over the entire state of Maharashtra.
- MKCL was formed by a joint initiative of the Government of Maharashtra, India and ten leading Universities of the State to create a new paradigm in education and development through universalization and integration of Information Technology in teaching, learning and educational management processes in particular and socio-economic transformative processes in general.
- In a span of 19 years, it has emerged as a high-tech and high-touch initiative focused on design, development, and delivery of innovative eLearning, eGovernance, and empowerment technologies, solutions, and services to its ever-growing base of millions of customers in public at large, Universities, Governments, and Communities.
- MKCL has trained and assessed more than 1 crore youth with its flagship IT Literacy Course, Maharashtra State Certificate in Information Technology ( MS-CIT ). A completely e-Learning course with world-class content, MS-CIT has been able to establish a network of more than 5000 computer institutes.
- MKCL has been able to reach to more than 1 Cr. people with its mission of Mass IT literacy, imparting world-class quality learning and skilling. Programs and Projects implemented for the Masses
- IT Literacy and Functionality
- Educational eGovernance Programs
- Community Development and empowerment Programs
- The current Indian market size of the EdTech Industry is about USD 700-800 million and India’s Edtech industry is poised to become $30 billion in size in the next 10 years from 2021 to 2031.
- The industry has attracted private equity investments of USD 4 billion in the last five years..
- The global education technology market size was valued at USD 89.49 billion in 2020 and is expected to witness a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.9% from 2021 to 2028. Digital technology can improve access to education.
Total Income for the year ended March 31, 2020, amounted to INR 200 Cr. as against INR 190 Cr. for the corresponding previous year, the increase in total Income is INR 10.69 Cr. i.e. 5.63% over last year.
Profit After Tax
On a standalone basis, the Company clocked a profit of INR 53.51 Cr. in FY19-20, registering a growth of 18.75%
Earnings Per Share
The Company registered an EPS of 66.23 in FY 19-20 with an increase of 18.73% over the previous year.
- The Government of Maharashtra and ten public Universities in the State of Maharashtra are among the initial equity holders of MKCL.
- While the Government of Maharashtra has a 37.13% stake, the Universities have 33.91% and autonomous bodies, educational institutions, training centers, social organizations, SMEs, directors, ex-directors, employees, ex-employees, and others have a remaining 28.96% stake.
- Turnover grew from INR. 20 Cr. in 2002-03 to INR 200 Cr. in 2019-20 gives confidence to state-established enterprises.
- Paid INR 278.47 Cr. to the Government of Maharashtra (GoM) in the last 19 years by way of dividend, examination fees, SGST, etc. as against GoM’s equity of INR 30 million.
- Paid INR 228.15 Cr. to Government of India in last nineteen years by way of Service tax, VAT, Works Contract Tax, Dividend Distribution Tax, IGST & CGST, etc.
- The Company continues to remain debt-free and maintain sufficient cash to meet its strategic objectives.
- There are no long-term borrowings.
- The Net worth of the Company is INR 407.08 Cr. on a consolidated basis.
- The cash and cash equivalents of the Company is INR 350 Cr.