IPL is one of the biggest sporting events in India. Chennai Super Kings (CSK) is a franchise cricket team that plays in the Indian Premier League (IPL). Founded in 2008, the team plays its home matches at the M. A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai. Just as the team, Chennai Super Kings unlisted shares are quite popular in the market.
It returned to the league in 2018, winning the championship in the comeback season. It was the team’s third winning season. The team is captained by Mahendra Singh Dhoni who has led the team to three victories since 2008.
Chennai Super Kings also have made into a record eight finals out of ten seasons making them one of the most successful franchises in the IPL. Besides, they have also won the Champions League Twenty20 in 2010 and 2014. The brand value of the Super Kings in 2019 is estimated to be around ₹732 crores (roughly $104 million), making them the second-most valuable IPL franchise, after Mumbai Indians.
About the Company
- The Chennai Super Kings (CSK) is a franchise cricket team based in Chennai, Tamilnadu which plays in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Founded in 2008, the team plays its home matches at the M.A Chidambaram in Chennai.
- The Super Kings have lifted the IPL title thrice (in 2010, 2011 and 2018), and has the highest win percentage among all teams in the IPL.
- The team also held the record of reaching the playoffs in every season of their appearance in the IPL until 2020.
- In addition, they have also won the Champions League Twenty20 in 2010 and 2014.
- The brand value of the Super Kings in 2019 is estimated to be around ₹732 crores (roughly $104 million), making them the second-most valuable IPL franchise.
History & Evolution
- In January 2008, BCCI unveiled the owner of eight city-based franchises. The Chennai franchise was sold to Indian Cement. Indian Cement acquired the rights to the franchise CSK for 10 years.
- In September 2007, The Board of Control for Cricket in India announced the establishment of the Indian Premier League, a Twenty20 Cricket Competition to be started in 2008.
- Indian Cement approved demerger of Chennai Super Kings BCCI-IPL Franchise 20/20 Cricket Tournament Team into a wholly-owned subsidiary.
- In January 2015, CSK got incorporated as a wholly-owned subsidiary.
- The share per price of CSK is in the range of INR 65-70 with 308,153,074 number of shares, thus having a Market Capitalization of INR 21,57,07,15,180.
Sources of earning for CSK
- Contribution from the central pool for selling media rights to broadcasters, money from title sponsors, licensing to co-sponsors and revenue from Gate fees (up to 20%).
- Almost 45% amount of the central pool is being equally shared between all the teams.
- Gate Revenues or Sale of Tickets- 80% of the collection goes to the franchise.
- Revenue from In-stadium advertising.
- Revenue from the sale of merchandise.
- Revenue from own sponsorship.
- CSK is the only sports team in India whose shares are available for public investment. CSK today’s price bags a value of greater than USD 500 Million, other competitors like Mumbai Indians are at a Valuation of USD 1 Billion.
- CSK has participated in 11 out of 13 seasons and has won the trophy 3 times and as of 1st runner up 5 times.
- Considering the global scenario, IPL is the most valued and richest T20 cricket League tournaments in the world.
- RK Damani Stock market expert is continuously increasing his stake in CSK.
- Till 2019 CSK has been named as the most successful team based on its winning percentage of 58.88% (won 106 matches out of 180 played).
- Potential Upside: CSK draws maximum viewership and being the most successful IPL team with the growth of IPL, CSK is bound to value higher in years to come.