Assam Carbon is the leader in the field of Carbon and Carbon related products for the past five decades. The company manufactures various kinds of products which are categorized into three groups: electrical products, mechanical products, and graphite products. Their products are used by various segments such as steel, railway traction, petrochemical, power, mines, and chemical process industries, etc. for various applications.
They commissioned the first plant 50 years ago and subsequently entered a joint venture with Morgans. It helped them to widen their portfolio which lasted till 2016. During this period, they embedded some of the best technology, plant, machinery, and manufacturing practices. This enabled Assam Carbon to take the leadership position in India and export to several countries in the world.
Morgans decided to exit the carbon business in India. Therefore, in 2016, Assam Carbon became an independent identity, after acquiring all the Morgan shares. However, as per the agreement, they have the right to produce all the grades/ products for which Assam Carbon has adopted from Morgans.
About the Company
- The Company is one of the market leaders in Electrical & Mechanical Carbon Products, with interests in manufacturing of Carbon blocks of various grades for the past 5 decades
- It manufactures a complete range of Carbon brushes for Railways and Industrial uses. Its Railway Traction products include Pantograph, Current Collectors & SIG Contacts. Mechanical Carbon Division produces Carbon Seals, Bearings, Vanes, and Thrust Pads.
- The finishing unit near Hyderbad is equipped with the latest state-of-the-art machines to offer customers products as per their specific requirements.
- Specialty Graphite Division of the Company offers solutions of the Diamond Tool industry, Optical fibre manufacturing, Hard metal sintering, and Electronic industry.
- The Company also manufactures various kinds of Graphite products Viz., Hi-Temp Insulator, Fuel Cells, Heating Elements, Casting Dyes, Lubricating Blocks, and other such items as per the need of the Customers.
- Assam Carbon Products Limited (Assam Carbon) is the pioneer in the field of Carbon technology for the manufacturing of carbon brushes.
- The Company was incorporated on 17th April 1963, nearly 58 years ago.
- Assam Carbon has manufacturing plants at Guwahati, Assam and Patencheru, Telangana with a strength of about 350 people.
History & Evolution
- The Company commissioned its first plant about 50 years ago.
- In the late 1970s, for the first time in India, Assam Carbon developed indigenous technology to produce world-class metal graphite carbon materials.
- In 1972, Assam Carbon collaborated with the Morgan Group, U.K. - the world leader in Carbon technology- to manufacture electro-graphitized and resin-bonded Carbon blocks.
- In 1975, the Company set up its second manufacturing unit in Guwahati, Assam.
- In 1982, the Company started manufacturing mechanical carbon materials with the technical assistance of Morgan Group and also started its third manufacturing unit at Patancheru in Andhra Pradesh.
- 1987 saw the machining of ISO -graphite components for continuous casting, again for the first time in India.
- In 1992, Assam Carbon Products Ltd. became a subsidiary of Morgan Crucible Co. PLC. U.K.
- In 1995, Patancheru unit started supplying Panto Carbon strips to Indian Railways.
- In 1998, Patancheru unit started producing Silver impregnated Graphite contacts and in 2001, Guwahati Plant was upgraded and awarded ISO: 9002.
- The JV association (between Assam Carbon & Morgan) lasting from 1972 to 2016, during which period the Company imbibed some of the best Technology, Plant & Machinery and Manufacturing Practices, catapulting us to the leadership position in India and also exporting to several countries in the world.
- As of 25.05.2016, Assam Carbon has become an independent identity, after the present management acquired all Morgan shares, once Morgans decided to exit the carbon business in India. However, as per the agreement entered into with Morgans, the Company has all the rights in perpetuity to produce all the grades/ products for which The Company has the requisite Technical KnowHow adopted from Morgans.
- Electrical Products
- Mechanical Products
- Specialty Graphite Products
- Aegis Ring
- The global advanced carbon materials market size was estimated at USD 3.06 billion in 2015, growing at a CAGR of 6.4% over the forecast period (2016-2024).
- An increase in industrial applications is one primarily responsible for the growth in the need for carbon materials and this is anticipated to augment the demand for the market over the forecast period.
- The global carbon brush market size in 2018 was nearly US$ 2,500 million. The carbon brush market is expected to grow at a CAGR of nearly 4% over 2019-2029.
- East Asia and North America are the leading regions in the carbon brush market, owing to the increasing adoption of carbon brush products for motors and increasing industrial applications for the development of carbon brush products for different applications.
- India’s industrial production plunged to a revised 18.3% year-on-year in March 2020, as compared to a 16.7 % fall initially reported.
- In the Union Budget 2019-20, it was estimated that an investment of INR 50 lakh crores would be needed for railway infrastructure between 2018-2030. Further, the allocation of budget for 2019-2020 is INR 30,198 crore, which is, 162% more with respect to the average annual budget outlay of 2009-14.
- The Company closed the year with a profit of INR 78.5 Lakhs as against previous year’s profit of INR 50.5 Lakhs, registering a growth of 55.38%.
- The Earnings Per Share of the Company stood at 28.48 per share increasing by 190.02% as compared to the EPS registered in FY 2016-17.
- In the FY19-20 the Company incurred a forex gain of INR 0.61 Lakhs as compared to a forex loss of INR 0.25 Lakhs in the previous year, basically as a result of better management of the forex transactions, as relative instability in the forex market continued in financial year 19-20.
- The Company achieved an export sale of INR 73.88 Lakhs in FY 19-20 as against INR 27.67 Lakhs in the previous year.
- The Company worked actively towards rationalizing its business and product portfolio, whilst adding new product lines, to better utilise the available talent and resources and stay abreast of the market dynamics in new products.
- Assam Carbon generated positive cash of INR 1.85 cr in FY19-20 from operations.