Reliance Retail Limited is a subsidiary company of Reliance Industries Limited. Largest Retailer in India in terms of revenue. Its retail outlets offer foods, groceries, apparel and footwear, lifestyle and home improvement products, electronic goods, and farm implements and inputs. The company’s outlets also provide vegetables, fruits, and flowers. It focuses on consumer goods, consumer durables, travel services, energy, entertainment and leisure, and health and well-being products, as well as on educational products and services. It had a total of 3,837 stores in April 2018 in India with an area of over 17.7 million square feet across 750 cities, with yearly revenue of over ₹690 billion ($10B USD).
There are over 45 subsidiaries & divisions of Reliance Retail. The list of major divisions includes – Reliance Fresh, Reliance SMART, Reliance Digital, Reliance LYF, Reliance Jewels, Reliance Trends, Reliance Footprint, Reliance Living, Reliance Market and Reliance Market Wholesale Cash-n-Carry, AJIO, Hamleys, etc.
About the Company
- Reliance Retail Ventures Limited, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited is the holding company of Reliance Retail Limited which operates the retail business.
- Serving the food and grocery category Reliance Retail operates Reliance Fresh, Reliance Smart and Reliance Market stores. In the consumer electronics category Reliance Retail operates Reliance Digital, Reliance Digital Express Mini stores and Jio stores, and in the fashion & lifestyle category it operates Reliance Trends, Trends Women, Trends Man, Trends junior, Project Eve, Reliance Footprint, Reliance Jewels and AJIO.com
- Reliance Retail has a portfolio of over 45 international brands that span across the entire spectrum of luxury, bridge to luxury, high–premium and high–street lifestyle. Reliance Retail operates over 682 stores for these international brands and continues to partner with new and revered international brands.
- Reliance Retail Limited serves a variety of market which includes food and grocery category, consumer electronics category and fashion and lifestyle segment.
- Reliance Retail has grown to become India’s largest retailer delivering superior value to its customers, suppliers and shareholders, since its inception in 2006.
- Reliance Retail has its Registered Office in Mumbai. It operates 10,901 retail stores in over 6,700 cities. Reliance Markets has 52 Stores & more than 4 Million Registered B2B & B2C Customers.
- The India Retail Industry is the largest among all the industries, accounting for over 10 per cent of the country’s GDP and around 8 per cent of the employment.
- India’s retail market is estimated at US$822 billion in FY 2019-20 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 10% over the next 5 years to reach US$1,315 billion by FY 2024-25.
- The penetration of the organised retail market is estimated at 11% in FY 2019-20 and is expected to grow to 17% by FY 2024-25. The organised retail market is estimated at US$89 billion in FY 2018-19 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 21% over the next 5 years to reach US$230 billion by FY 2024-25.
- The Consumer Electronics market is estimated at US$53 billion in FY 2019-20 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 11% over the next 5 years to reach US$91 billion by FY 2024-25. The organised Consumer Electronics market is estimated at US$18.2 billion in FY 2019-20 with a penetration of 34%.
- The overall Fashion & Lifestyle market is estimated at US$139 billion in FY 2019-20 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 11% over the next 5 years to reach US$233 billion by FY 2024-25. The organised Fashion & Lifestyle market is estimated at US$40 billion in FY 2019-20 with a penetration of 29%.
- The Food & Grocery market is estimated at US$545 billion in FY 2019-20 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9% over the next 5 years to reach US$850 billion by FY 2024-25. The organised food and grocery market are estimated at US$21 billion in FY 2019-20 with a penetration of 3.7%.
- RRL achieved a turnover of INR 1,46,724.25 crore in FY 2019-20, an increase of 27% Y-o-Y as compared to the previous year.
Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA):
- The business delivered an EBITDA of INR 9,399.30 crore for FY 2019-20, registering a growth of 56% Y-o-Y.
Profit After Tax (PAT):
- The Company clocked PAT of INR 5,539.79 crores in FY 2019-20 as compared to the PAT earned in FY 2018-19 of INR 3,138.26 crores, registering a growth of 76.52%.
Earnings Per Share (EPS):
- The EPS of the Company rose to 10.41 in FY 2019-20 increasing by 76.44%.
- Completed acquisition/integration of Netmeds, Grab, Now floats, C-Square and Shopsense
- This deal will give Reliance Retail access to Future group’s almost 1800 stores that covers brands like Big Bazaar, Central and FBB.
- Reliance Retail makes its first international foray with 100% acquisition of marquee British Toy retailer Hamleys.
- Reliance Retail Ventures acquires a majority stake in Urban Ladder for INR 182.12 Crore. (around 96% holding).
- Reliance has acquired a majority stake in online pharmacy Netmeds for about Rs. 620 Crore.
- The penetration of the organised retail market is estimated at 11% in FY 2019-20 and is expected to grow to 17% by FY 2024-25E
- RIL has recent Strategic Partnerships with Google and Facebook.
- The Company operates in 11,308 retail stores in over 7,000 towns and cities covering an area of 27 million sq. ft. as of March 31, 2020.
- The gains of modern retail are being brought to the real ‘Bharat’ as more than 2/3rd of stores are operated in Tier II, Tier III and Tier IV towns.
- Additionally, 519 petro retail outlets were in operation as of March 31, 2020.
- Reliance Retail has reduced its debt from 12,800 Crores last year to 4,665 Crores in FY 19-20